IALC Member Institution
Ministry of Agriculture & Land Reclamation,
Undersecretary of State for Afforestation - Egypt
The Ministry of Agriculture and Land Reclamation (MALR) aims at:
- Improving the agricultural policies, including those relating to land
reclamation, within the context of the national development plans, in
a manner that ensures full coordination and integration at both macro
and sectoral levels. At the sectoral level, the agricultural and land
reclamation activities are developed according to the latest agricultural
technologies and on an optimal economic ground.
- Developing the agricultural wealth, expanding the area of the reclaimed
land and maximizing the rural economy, using every possible proper means.
MALR assumes the following responsibilities:
- Laying down general policies in the fields of agriculture, land reclamation
and horizontal expansion nationwide, within the framework of the State's
general goals. This is particularly done through planning for the programs
of reclaimable land survey, based on water resources defined by MPWWR,
within the context of land reclamation programs agreed upon between
the two Ministries.
- Studying ways and means of provisioning the requirements of agriculture
and land reclamation, increasing the efficiency ofresource allocation
and use (land, water and livestock ), and monitoring and evaluation
of the implementation of development projects so as to ensure the attainment
of the State's goals in the field of agricultural production.
- Drawing-up a general policy for agricultural cooperation and the use
of desert and reclaimed lands according to the provisions of the law;
and coordinating among the various agencies to ensure speedy and accurate
performance in the agricultural and land reclamation activities.
- Conducting research and studies for developing plant, animal and fish
production; and outlining the agro-industries policies in thc new expansion
areas. MALR will always promote, through extension activities, the findings
of applied research by such means as seminars, workshops and national
and international conferences. It will also provide technical advice
to individuals and corporate bodies in Egypt and the friendly countries.
- Drawing-up rehabilitation policies for thc reclaimed lands with a
view to re-distribute the population pressure presently concentrated
in the Nile Valley and Delta; and expanding the agricultural cooperation
and credit system to cover the entire rural Egypt.
- Developing the rural communities and raising the standard of living
of the Egyptian peasantry through enhancing the rural economy by such
means as mechanized agriculture and cost-effective production.
- Studying joint ventures and agro-industrial projects in the new lands,
formulating and concluding domestic and international contractual agreements
in this regard and overviewing implementation thereof by the competent
sectors of MALR.
Arid Lands Expertise at the Ministry of Agriculture & Land Reclamation
- Supports new lands development
- Establishes wind breaks
- Promotes afforestation to improve local habitats
- Operates training facilities for national and international audiences
in the areas of management
Visit the MALR Website