International Arid Lands Consortium

IALC Wayne Owens Peace Fellowship Program

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is the International Arid Lands Consortium (IALC) Wayne Owens Peace Fellowship Program?
    The IALC Wayne Owens Peace Fellowship Program was implemented during the spring of 1996 to provide scholarly research and outreach opportunities for both undergraduate and graduate students from the IALC Member Institutions.

    NOTE: Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to apply from any of the IALC Member Institutions, or from any of the Israeli, Jordanian and Egyptian universities and research institutes approved by the Jewish National Fund, Jordan's Higher Council for Science & Technology, and Egypt's Ministry of Agriculture and Land Reclamation, respectively. The operation of the IALC Peace Fellowship program is contingent upon availability of funds.

  2. Who is eligible to receive an IALC Peace Fellowship? All undergraduate and graduate students from IALC Member Institutions are eligible to apply. However, undergraduate students are given priority. See the list of Member Institutions and/or contact your university's representatives on the IALC Board of Directors or the IALC Research and Demonstration Advisory Committee (RADAC). Graduate students will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

  3. What will I be studying?
    First, you should determine a topic that interests you and corresponds to an IALC-funded project. Also you should have a general range of dates when you would like to conduct the Peace Fellowship.

    Second, you should contact the IALC office in Tucson, Arizona, to obtain the most current email address, fax number, and phone number of the principal investigator. Most projects in the Middle East have co-investigators in the United States, who may be contacted if that is easier for you.

    Third, you personally should contact (email has worked well) the principal investigator of the funded project. The principal investigator of the funded project must be contacted in order to coordinate all the arrangements.

  4. Where will I be studying?
    You are expected to conduct your research in a country other than your home country.

  5. How are Peace Fellowship funds provided?
    Funds are usually transferred to an IALC Board member at your institution for management.

  6. What is provided for me under the IALC Peace Fellowship Program?
    An award total of up to $5,000 is available for each Peace Fellowship. Awards are allocated as follows: up to $3,500 may be used for international travel, lodging, and meals; and up to $1,500 may be used for principal investigator support. Lodging is arranged for you, but your Fellowship funds will pay for it. Past experience has shown student international travel costs for round-trip US to the Middle East average $1,400 and living expenses average around $1,600 per month. The remainder of the award funds may be used to help support the student's research project, and for tuition and fees. In-country supervision is managed by the principal investigator of the research project.

  7. What costs will I need to pay?
    Most Peace Fellows have incurred limited expenses. Most of the extra costs are for personal expenses such as gifts, sightseeing, etc.

  8. Where do I get information on the IALC Peace Fellowship Program and about the International Arid Lands Consortium?
    The quickest way to obtain information on the IALC and the Peace Fellowship Program is review this Website. Thereafter, you should contact one of your university's two IALC Board members. You may also contact your institution's member of the IALC Research and Demonstration Advisory Committee (RADAC).

  9. How do I apply for an IALC Peace Fellowship?
    An application must be completed with a nomination from one of your university's IALC Board members, so you should meet one of these people as soon as you can. The application will include the personal essay and nomination statement. A valid passport is required. Parental support is highly encouraged, and if you are under 18 years of age, parental permission is required.

  10. What is the application deadline?
    Applications are accepted year-round. However, lead time of at least 2-3 months is usually needed to process the application and make the necessary overseas arrangements.

  11. Do I need to be a full-time student?
    Full-time students will be given priority. However, all students are eligible to apply and will be considered.

  12. Where do I go, and when do I participate in the IALC Peace Fellowship?
    Most U.S. students generally travel to the Middle East, where most of the overseas projects are conducted. Fellowships are scheduled usually for about 1 month during the summer. However, the Fellowship may be for a longer time and conducted during either the fall or spring semester. The specific dates are determined by the student and the principal investigator of the project.

  13. What are my responsibilities during the IALC Peace Fellowship Program?
    You are expected to complete a scholarly research or outreach study. A written report must be submitted to the IALC office in Tucson, Arizona, within 30 days upon completion of your Fellowship.


Last updated: 24 June 2005
URL: ../PF/pf-faq.html
Last Updated: November 6, 2012
Contact and Credits